CMC Porsche 904 Carrera GTS, Rallye Monte Carlo 1965, Böhringer/Wütherich, #150
Limited Edition 1500 pcs.
Exhaust system: Sebring
Color: Metallic silver
When the Porsche 904 debuted at the Solitude Circuit, Germany in November 1963, a plan was also in place to build it for a minimum of 100 vehicles so as to meet the FIA’s regulations for homologation of a racing as well as road-legal vehicle.
$ 739.00This product is currently not available, but you can pre-order it here. When the product will become available, we will inform you by e-mail and you have to make the payment only then.
HISTORY (ORIGINAL VEHICLE)
904-006 is a rare factory-raced example of the 904 Carrera GTS, the company’s landmark machine built to race at the highest levels in the 1964 season.
1964 was a watershed year for Porsche, marked by the presentation of the 911 as its new production car and of the 904 to usher in a new era of design and engineering for sportscars. Both cars were designed by “Butzi“, the grandson of Ferdinand Porsche, and each was a masterpiece.
Porsche had been experimenting with fiberglass as early as 1954, and the 904 Carrera GTS was its first model to adopt the new technology. Construction of fiberglass over a steel ladder chassis allowed for a very lightweight package, and the 904 fiberglass body was accompanied by stellar aerodynamics, too, featuring a small frontal area.
Nine of the first 10 Porsche 904s built were kept for works race team use, including the 904-006. Chassis 006 was first put into service during April 1964 as one of four entries by Porsche in the Targa Florio. It placed 2nd overall, driven by Antonio Pucci and Colin Davis.
In its second outing for Porsche, 904-006 was driven by Herbert Linge and Gerhard Mitter at the 1,000 Km Nürburgring. Against diverse international competition, the pair finished 12th overall. Next came the 24 hours of Le Mans, where 904-006 was driven to 10th overall and 3rd in Class by the duo of Gerhard Koch and Heinz Schiller. After finishing 4th overall and 2nd in Class at the Tour de France, 904-006 raced in its final event as a factory entrant at the 1965 Monte Carlo Rally, driven by Eugen Böhringer and Rolf Wütherich. They clinched a class win and 2nd place overall in a rally that saw only 22 finishers in the points out of 237 starters.
Porsche sold 904-006 to a German company in 1966. Then the trail went cold until Leonard Renick, a Cadillac dealer in California, purchased the car from a usedd car lot. Now missing an engine, 904-006 went through the hands of two more owners and then was sold to Gerard Layer, who sourced an appropriate type 587/3 engine and transaxle and had the car restored. He eventually sold it to Michael Shoen in January 1997. In January 1998, Scott Gautherier, a Scottsdale-based collector and jeweler, purchased 904-006, and the car became the cornerstone of a significant collection of sports racing cars.
Joining the collection of Stanley Gold in 2000, 904-006 was put back to its natural role as a competition machine. Mr. Gold had the car prepared for track use and, over the course of his 14-year ownership, this Porsche was entered in no fewer than 27 vintage racing events, including three Tour Auto appearances, six trips to the Le Mans Classic, and four entries at the Monterey Historics.
The use of manufacturers’ names, symbols, type designations, and/or descriptions is solely for reference purposes. It does not imply that the CMC scale model is a product of any of these manufacturers.
The use of racing term and/or driver names, symbols, starting numbers, and/or descriptions is solely for reference purposes. Unless otherwise stated, it does not imply that the CMC scale model is a product of any of these racing teams/drivers or endorsed by any of them.